January 9, 2024 — Rep. Paul Gosar introduced House Resolution 934 on December 13, 2023, which calls for an end to the prosecution of Julian Assange and affirms the First Amendment rights for journalists. The resolution needs cosponsors to be introduced to the House floor for a vote — so we need to urge our representatives to support H.R. 934 right away!
“First Amendment freedom of the press promotes public transparency and is crucial for the American Republic”
House Resolution.934 – Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that regular journalistic activities are protected under the First Amendment, and that the United States ought to drop all charges against and attempts to extradite Julian Assange.
“Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that—
(1) regular journalistic activities, including the obtainment and publication of information are protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States;
(2) First Amendment freedom of the press promotes public transparency and is crucial for the American Republic;
(3) the Federal Government ought to drop all charges against and attempts to extradite Julian Assange; and
(4) the Federal Government allow Julian Assange to return home to his native Australia if he so desires.”
Call your congressmembers!
- Find your Representative by zip code
- Directory of Representatives and their websites
- Or you can call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard operator: (202) 224-3121
Note: This resolution follows a November 8th letter to President Biden from a bipartisan Congressional group calling for Biden to withdraw the US extradition request. Nine of 16 signatories were Democrats – AOC, Ayanna Presley, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Pramila Jayapal, Greg Cesar, Cori Bush, Jamaal Bowman , and Chuy Garcia.